This site uses cookies.

The types of cookies we use, and the way we use them, are explained in our Privacy Policy. By clicking "Accept" or continuing to use our site, you agree to our use of Cookies.
More information

Masoud Behbahani
Sales Representative

Kingsway Real Estate

151 City Centre Dr. #300, Mississauga, ON L5B 1M7

Phone: 905-268-1000  Mobile: 416-579-1860  Fax: 905-277-0020

Matrimonial homes are special assets

December 6, 2012 - Updated: December 6, 2012

Matrimonial homes are special assets


It is always a question as to who is required to sign documents when a matrimonial home is being sold, and how proceeds from a matrimonial home may be split if a couple is breaking up.

Mark Weisleder  a well known Real Estate Lawyer in an article  demonstrates, even if one spouse paid entirely for the home before marriage, with no marriage contract, the entire value of the home may be equalized upon separation. This also means that even if a married spouse is not living in the home now, if they were living there at the time of separation and the couple is still married, then they must also give their consent to the sale of the home.

It is also important to remember that common law couples do not have to sign to sell a family home if they are not registered on title. If you have any questions, make sure you obtain legal advice in advance of signing anything.

Click here to read the article



Tagged with: matrimonial homes north york mississauga brampton gta toronto richmond hill condos condos for sale rent lease homes for sale
| | Share

Powered by Lone Wolf Real Estate Technologies (CMS6)